Year 6: Transition St James
At St James, we provide students with opportunities to shine, through excellent teaching, a vibrant and rich extracurricular provision and a curriculum that challenges and inspires from the start of Year 7. There are so many ongoing wonderful opportunities at this school that your child will be able to get involved in during their five years at St James.
We have a comprehensive transition process at that ensures that the move between primary and secondary school is a supported, personalised and a smooth process that recognises the needs of each individual child.
Our pledge to you for transition at St James:
- We will listen to you and your child to ensure the best possible transition between Primary and Secondary schools. We will stay in contact with all Primary schools and provide contact details so communication can be effective.
- We will ensure you are fully informed and have a dedicated transition team and email address so that you can contact us anytime with any questions you may have.
- Your child will be able to access an extensive virtual transition package, including messages from their teachers, students and regular updates from the Head of Year.
- Every child will receive an exciting transition book to read over the summer holidays and then explore during its English lessons in September.
- Your child will have the opportunity to write to new tutors to introducing themselves and share their hobbies, strengths and worries so these can be addressed and celebrated within their first half term at St James.
- Your child will receive a Knowledge Organiser, ‘Getting to know your school’ and instructions on how to use cover, write check to check what your child has learnt about their Secondary school.
- All new Year 7s will be invited on a special trip to Devon County Show as we believe it’s important to be involved in your local community.
- All new Year 7s will be invited on a special transition trip to Bude to help your child make new friends, bond as a year group ad learn key team building skills.
- Your child will take part in timetabled weekly enrichment whilst at St James, as we believe they should have rich can diverse experiences.
Steffi Morby and Julie Ingham-Hill will be your main point of contact during your child’s transition. They have a dedicated transition email address which is monitored regularly. They will visit your child’s school, together with our SENDCo, to meet with Year 6 teachers to discuss every student who is coming to St James. They will also make a second visit to your child’s school to meet with students and answer any questions and ease any concerns that they may have.
Towards the end of the summer term, we will hold New Intake Parents’ Evening. During this evening, parents and students are able to find out key information and meet their child tutor for the first time. We then run two full transition days for Year 6 students to meet their tutor and other students from our feeder schools. They will follow a timetable for the two days to get a taste of what being a student at St James will be like, including completing knowledge organiser homework.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.