Ethos and values
St James is a thriving, diverse and proud community. As an inclusive and committed team we are positively and diligently raising standards. Our aim is to ensure all our students leave with excellent outcomes, exciting post-16 destinations and a range of skills and experiences to enable them to be happy and successful in the future.
We promise to develop students who:
- Inspire each other to achieve and experience great things;
- Are confident enough to be individually resilient and collectively interdependent;
- Have a sense of self-worth and are respectful and open to the world around them; and,
- Enjoy life and want to explore it by experiencing new things.
We believe that every student should enjoy a range of experiences and opportunities.
10 things every student should do before they leave are:
- Represent the school;
- Visit an art gallery, museum, see a show at a theatre and an event at a world class sporting venue;
- Be politically engaged with a visit to the houses of parliament and have met a politician;
- Present or perform to an audience of peers such as in an assembly;
- Engage in a wide variety of sporting and leisure activities including having completed an adventurous hike and engaged with the local surroundings;
- Complete meaningful work experience with a local employer;
- Volunteer for a charity – giving time, raising awareness or fundraising;
- Work with a local bank and be aware of financial products and money issues;
- Communicate with students in another school in a different part of the world and find shared ideas about their school life; and,
- Read widely to broaden their knowledge of literature and the world, to include a broadsheet newspaper, a journal/piece of academic literature, a Shakespeare text and a novel.