Careers & Post-16 guidance
Many opportunities are available to give information advice and guidance on choices to be made Post 16.
- A number of assemblies are held across the year groups with guest speakers from other educational or apprenticeship providers.
- Tutor time activities and various workshops take place during the year.
- In Year 11 individual appointments are held with the Exeter College Advice Team.
- Activities and workshops take place often.
- Careers Fairs are held both in school and at various other venues within Devon which pupils and parents are informed of.
- Open evenings are held at all sixth form schools and Further Education Colleges in the area. Parents and pupils are advised when these are due to take place.
- Careers South West comes in to work with earmarked pupils.
- Staff are available in the library each day from 3.00pm to help KS4 with C.V’s, College applications and post 16 plans in general.
- Year 11’s have an assertive mentor assigned to them and a focus of this mentoring partnership is on post 16 plans to encourage aspirational and achievable goals.
- Exit interviews are held with each individual Y11 in the Spring and Summer term to check that sensible post 16 plans have been made. Contact information is exchanged at this interview so that support can be offered throughout the following year to ensure a smooth transition.
The following websites are very useful to help with future planning:-
Your choices at 14, 16 and 18, routes to different qualifications and job sectors, and career tools to help you decide. Including Parent Zone – Information to help parents/carers support young people in making the right decision about study and work
National Careers Service. We provide information, advice and guidance to help you make decisions on learning, training and work.
Careers Advice for UK parents, young people, school leavers, A Level students, teenagers. Independent, informative & accurate.
All About School Leavers is an online careers advice service. They’ve also got advice for school leavers. Direct advisers provide free, confidential and impartial information, advice and guidance
Information and advice about what career choices are available for teenagers and young adults in England. National Careers Service., providing inspiration for young people in schools.
School Leaver Jobs Apprenticeships, School Leaver Programmes … school leaver programme opportunities, to the latest school leaver job news,
Moving On magazine is devoted to informing young people and their parents about making the right choices for their future
Register your profile, search vacancies and apply for an apprenticeship – you must be 16 or over.
BestCourse4Me is your independent and free University Course Guide which shows the link between what you study and what you can apply for at university
Careersbox the national online careers film and video library
Make a difference with a career in health. Get all the information you need to take the next step in your career.
Get ideas for your future with free career videos, job information, plus advice on career options and the world of work.
At the heart of connecting people to higher education. All you need to know about the process of applying to University and the subjects/points score needed for your chosen degree.
We have a strong Alumni Network at St James through our partnership with the charity Future First – click the link to find out more
To see what Mentoring provision is available go to link
All pupils in Year 10 have the opportunity to take part in work Experience for a week. This is arranged through the Tutor and Head of Year.